During the spring and summer months, we usually enjoy higher humidity and higher moisture levels, but these conditions can also encourage the growth of mold. Here are some tips for preventing mold in your home:

Ventilation

 

In humid environments, moisture condenses and forms a perfect environment for mold growth. Keeping the relative humidity of the air inside your home low will reduce condensation, as well as damp surfaces in your home. In addition to causing a variety of health problems, mold can trigger asthma attacks and respiratory illnesses. Proper ventilation will keep the air inside your home fresh and comfortable, and prevent the growth of mold.

 

The most effective way to prevent mould growth is to ensure that you have good ventilation in your home. Adding an exhaust fan to your ventilation system can help move the air around the house and provide an ideal microclimate. The proper ventilation will eliminate condensation in a home, as well as deliver clean, fresh air. You can also buy a ventilation system that purifies the air inside your home. Clean First STIEBEL ELTRON ventilation appliances are a great way to ensure your home has good ventilation.

Controlling moisture

asbestos chrysotile fibers that cause lung disease, COPD, lung cancer, mesothelioma

While it may seem like the easiest way to control moisture in your home is to keep windows and doors shut, there are a number of other ways to control moisture in your home. For instance, letting natural light in and keeping your house well-ventilated can help prevent mold growth. Keeping your home dry will also help keep moisture levels in check, which can be a challenge in climate-controlled homes.

 

The first step to preventing mold in your home is to address the source of the problem. Leaving moisture in your home can lead to the growth of mold, which is unsightly, can damage your home’s structure, and can cause health problems. Mold grows on any surface that is damp, including your walls, ceiling tiles, and condensing pipes. Whether you don’t notice mold growth in your home or suspect it, controlling moisture is crucial for keeping your home healthy.

Getting rid of excess water

 

While the most common cause of mold growth in homes is flooding, the occurrence of even the smallest amount of water can trigger its development. Water can sink into porous building materials and not evaporate, thereby creating the perfect conditions for the growth of mold. Even one gallon of water can cause lasting damage, so the first step to mold prevention is to get rid of the excess water as quickly as possible.

 

Obtain a crack sealant from a hardware store to keep out mold spores. This will help keep the humidity level in a room down to 50%. Using a dehumidifier is the easiest way to accomplish this goal. While the dehumidifier is running, open windows to air out the room. The dehumidifier will remove excess water and keep it at a level that does not encourage mold growth.

Getting rid of wood cutting boards

 

If you have moldy cutting boards in your kitchen, using a mixture of two teaspoons of bleach and one-half cup of water will remove the stains and kill any remaining mold. Use a kitchen scrubbing brush to scrub the board clean, and make sure to leave it well-ventilated after use. The vapors of mold spores are extremely irritants, and contacting them can cause a reaction.

 

A wooden cutting board can also harbor unpleasant odors. One way to remove these odors is to use baking powder mixed with a cup of white vinegar, which acts as an oxidizing agent. Another option is to scrub the board with the rind of a lemon. After applying this method, rinse the board with water. You can also use food-grade mineral oil to treat the wood cutting board to prevent it from drying out and cracking.

Removing excess moisture from behind the stove

 

If your kitchen has a wood stove, you should run the fan daily. The fan switch is located inside the furnace cabinet. If you notice mold or mildew behind a sofa, this may be a sign that your home has too much moisture. If you suspect that your home has a moisture problem, you should contact a mold remediation professional. If you do notice mold or mildew in your kitchen, you may want to try a natural remedy instead. Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent home remedy to remove mold. Simply spray the affected area with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, scrub it off.

 

In addition to being a common cause of mold growth, improper ventilation and poor air circulation can contribute to the development of mold. By removing excess moisture behind the stove, you can also prevent the development of mold spores in your home. By eliminating these areas, you can prevent the spread of mold and other harmful fungi in your home. Once you’ve eliminated the causes of moisture, you should address the root cause of the problem and prevent the spread of mold.