Here's something that most online business owners struggle with – Working too hard for not enough return. Even when the returns are good, the hours can be grueling.
As an Internet marketing mother, I can not afford to be sitting at my computer 24/7. I chose to run an online business because I want to be home with my kids, but at home glued to a computer screen is not like being at home.
Even if you do not have a kid or a spouse, a business should not become your entitlement life.
It's a recipe for burn out and a dismal life that revolves around a computer. At first, building your business and working really may seem exciting, but then you look up and realize there's nothing else in your life.
So, how do you work smarter and not harder? In other words, how do you make more money with less personal time invested in your business.
To me, in coming down to 4 key points:
O Value your time
O Leverage the strengths and time of others
O Implement Passive Income Models into your Business
O Do not be afraid of technology
Here's some more thoughts on each of those:
1. Value Your Time:
You need to set and limit your working hours. You probably run your business, so you can stay home with your family & / or have more freedom. Well, being a prisoner to your computer does not do either of those things for you.
In addition, when you limit your work time, you are more productive. If you have only 3 hours to get work done, you're more likely to stay focused and do what you need to do. If you have set aside the whole day to work, you'll probably slack off and hang out at forums, check your stats endlessly or find other distractions. Sorry to say – that's NOT working.
2. Leverage The Strength & Time of Others:
Do not think of yourself as a solo entrepreneur … think of yourself as a team. You can leverage the strength and time of others by:
– Outsourcing: Never try to do it all yourself!
– Partnering with others reaching the same target market as you: Your competition does not need to be your enemy. Make them your partners instead!
– Recruiting and training an affiliate force: Just setting up the script for your affiliate program is not enough … set up a stellar program instead.
– Being part of mastermind group that shares business strategies and experiences.
3. Implement Passive Income Models Into Your Business:
Outsourcing and having your own well-managed affiliate program are ways to generate passive income. Other ways to add more passive income to your online business are:
– Join affiliate programs: You do not have to fulfill all the orders and provide customer support.
– Learn search engine optimization (SEO): Search engine optimization is an excellent source of highly-targeted traffic for your website. Just think, people enter a keyword phrase for something they want and voila, they find you.
– Implement pay-per-click strategies: Just like with search engines, you can get highly-targeted traffic to your website, but you have to pay for it. But setting up a cost-effective and profitable campaign can do wonders for your business. Try AdWords of Yahoo Search Marketing.
– Use autoresponders: Effectively automate your follow-up process with our prospect and customers.
– Backend Sales & Upsells: When someone is already going to buy from you once, they're more likely to buy more. Make sure you make extra offers.
4. Embrace Technology:
This one might be tough for some non-technical people. Honestly, I'm not very technical and I get intimidated by technology … but I do know that if I can automate something in my business, it saves me time and money. That's why I have a programmer on hand to help me with stuff like this. I do not have to implement the technology myself. I just use it to my advantage in my business.
Some uses of technology can include … but the possibilities are ENDLESS
* Shopping carts
* Membership sites
* Automating content addition to your sites
* Making customer / prospect management easier and more profitable
* Customer feedback, comments, reviews
* Affiliate program
* Tracking advertising and split testing
So please, stop doing so much work! Your business, family and friends will thank you for it!